Decoding Your Automobile Insurance Coverage: What Do You REALLY Need?

Auto insurance is an enigma to most and because we are mandated by law to have it; it is often approached as a duty and not an opportunity to both protect yourself/your family…or the chance to save money. The largest pitfall a consumer can make when securing auto insurance is to go into the process without a solid understanding of the critical coverage they need; and the extras that they don’t.

Most people tend to think of coverage in two terms:  They either need “full coverage” or just “liability”.  But there are many variances that lie in between the two; levels of each with different options that can be added or deleted.

So what coverage am I REQUIRED to have?

While the answer to that is unique to each driver, the law requires the following:  25/50/25


  • $25k in bodily injury liability per person
  • $50k in bodily injury liability per incident
  • $25k in property damage liability

When costs exceed the minimum coverage, the insured would then be responsible for both the difference in damage costs as well as lawyer and court filing fees. You can easily see why this would bring discontent to the insured – as the average consumer couldn’t afford that kind of financial setback.

For this reason, Beck Curry Insurance Group does not write state minimum policies. Why? Because 16 years of experience has demonstrated that with today’s medical premiums, the odds of exceeding your state minimum policy limits are high. (The same applies to hitting a car worth more than $25k!)

Understanding Automobile Insurance Coverage Types

Collision coverage doesn’t just envelop the coverage of your car when you hit another vehicle; it is the physical damage coverage applied to your vehicle when damage is suffered while the vehicle is in motion. This includes the instance where you may be hit by an uninsured or underinsured vehicle. Collision coverage does not cover physical damage by an accident involving an animal, nor does it cover damages caused by weather or instances of theft. For the latter, you will need comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive coverage envelopes everything outside of collisions that may damage your vehicle.

Is your vehicle financed? If so, the finance company will require both comprehensive and collision coverage. The two together is often what people refer to as “full coverage”. If your vehicle is not financed, you can decide to carry comprehensive and collision coverage, or opt not to.

Additional considerations in coverage:

Because every policy should reflect the “thumbprint” of each unique driver’s needs, here’s some additional considerations to help you choose the best coverage that’s custom fit for YOU:

  • Is your vehicle driven back and forth to work, or used strictly for pleasure use?
  • If your vehicle is financed? If the car is worth less than what you currently owe on it, you may want to consider “loan gap” insurance which will cover the difference if the vehicle is totaled in an accident or collision.
  • If your car is damaged in an accident, would you need a rental car for transportation until your car is repaired?
  • If your car breaks down on the side of the road, would you like to have coverage to pay for the towing? 


At Beck Curry Insurance Group, we have a suggested starting point of $50k/$100k/$50k. The difference in cost to increase to $100k/$300k/$100k (or even $250k/$500k/$250k) is generally minimal and well-worth the difference in protection for you/your family.

It takes very little time to run your current policy through us to examine your current coverage and shop out your rates to ensure you are both receiving the best coverage for your individual needs – and receiving the best rate for your auto insurance. If you’d like the peace of mind in knowing your policy is right for you, please contact us at 317.272.0800 or and we’ll respond to your needs right away.